subscribe



Horny Toads


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I started fishing the Zoom Horny Toad soon after it came out, last
year. I've caught more fish on this lure, than anything else in my
tackle box.For the lakes around Central Texas, the yellow and the white seem to get the most hits. It works best fishing the banks, early in the morning, or wherever there is grass, or floating vegetation.

I was fishing LBJ this fall, when I found an island surrounded by a grassy shore. There was lots of vegetation in mats around the island, and a rocky ridge that ran up the north-west side of the island, about 20 feet off-shore, and about 4-6 feet deep. I would cast one of these horny toads rigged weedless up onto the bank, then pull the lure into the water. I would steady retrieve the frog along the top of the water, and pause at a stick in the water, or a floating log, or a patch of weeds. As soon as I would stop the retrieve, I would get a strike every time. The bass were using the ridge to patrol the shoreline, and using the isolated cover as ambush points. The water was very clear and shallow between the ridge and the shoreline. As soon as I would get on top of the ridge, I would get a strike. I must have caught 12 fish within an hour. I must have missed about 12 more! The one problem I have with this lure is that the bass tend to short-strike, and miss the hook. They seem to be more attracted to the action of the frogs legs, than the body of the frog. I've thought about attaching a trailing hook, but this would ruin the weedless qualities of this bait. I would like to see another similar design with the legs attached to the front of the lure. This would get the kicking action closer to the body of the frog, where the hook is at.

I've used this lure successfully on LBJ, Stillhouse Hollow, and Lake Travis. I have not tried it anywhere else, but my guess is that it would work equally well.


About me

  • I'm Scott Gaspard
  • From Austin, Texas, United States
  • I really like to fish. I go every chance I can. You can pretty much bet that at any given moment, I'm using whatever spare cycles I have to plan my next trip.
  • My profile

Google
Web This Site


Site Map




Archives



Gear



Pros


Guides


Boats


Organizations


Fishing Reports



Web Sites


Unrelated Blogs I Like



Previous Stories